This poor, neglected blog. I’m surprised it even lets me sign in any more. It probably wouldn’t were it not for Google Chrome being smart. At times, I don’t post because I just don’t have anything to say or I’m being lazy. This time, that is not the case. I’ve actually been too busy to breathe. Even as I type this, I’m counting the minutes until I need to leave the house again. I think the best way to catch up on what’s happened in August is……..bulletpoints!
So, you see, I’ve been quite busy. You should see my iPhone calendar. August was crazy. A dot on more than half of the days. September is currently only holding 11 dots, but hey, it’s only the first! If you can believe it, I’m still trying to find time to prepare for a student showcase around mid-month which will be my first public pole performance, get to the boxing gym a little more regularly, and write. I still have a couple of ideas for books that I need to get on paper…or computer.This is my stolen time. The time before I absolutely MUST get up and get ready for work (where I can throw on jeans and a t-shirt and flip-flops and be appropriately dressed) but after the alarm has gone off. The quiet time. The only time I have for writing. But again, I say that I will try to find this time more often. And perhaps I will since fun stuff is actually going on. Even now, there is more stuff happening, but, dear reader, there’s only so much I’ll bombard you with in one sitting. We’re already at a thousand words for this post. So with that, I will leave you, wishing you a happy September, a happy, long, Labor Day weekend, a working air conditioner if you’re here in CO with me (we’ll be breaking a temperature record today…97 in September), and just lots of fun, love, and happiness. Go forth and caterpillar climb!
- As a member of Imperial Flyers, we put on an awesome amateur circus show. No one got (seriously) injured and that always makes for a good time. Threw two tricks, caught two tricks. That’s a win in my book. Videos can be seen here.
- We passed our one year in Colorado/one year in our house milestone. It isn’t “our house” since it’s a rental, but it’s definitely our house. 🙂
- I went on a work retreat to Estes Park. It was really great to get to meet our near-shore development team from Mexico and our developers who are right here in the Denver area. We had a blast hanging around and talking and playing games. And drinking. And talking about the most ridiculous stuff ever. Have you de-wormed yourself lately?
- We made an appearance at my company’s picnic, for which I made some awesome pound cake cupcakes. The cupcakes started the weekend baking binge. The following weekend I made zucchini bread since one of Lovey’s co-workers had way too much zucchini and squash. It was so, so yummy. Lovey took a loaf to work and I got a few requests for my recipe. Yay me!
- WORK! If you’ve followed this blog at all in the previous years or if you have the time/energy to go back through the archives, you’ll know that my work situation in Miami was just to the left of awful. It was a toxic situation wherein, at one point, I was so stressed out that I was having what I called hobo dinner – a scoop of peanut butter and a beer. Well. All that has changed. My current job is the COMPLETE opposite of where I was. I enjoy my job. I get up in the mornings and I’m excited to go to work. I have piles and piles of things to do. My intelligence and willingness to help are acknowledged and appreciated. Oh yeah, and then there’s that fast track I’m on to be the manager of my little group and possibly a couple others. I’m doing some online classes through work to brush up on my management skills. I’m learning another of our lines of business. And just the other day, I found out that I’ll be shooting over from App Support to QA full time for the remainder of the year. We’re looking at quite possibly the beginning of the year for wheels to start not just turning, but peeling out with posi-traction. Funny also that my boss lives within a 5 minute walk from my house and her boys go to the school down the street from my house. It is really great to enjoy my job again. It’s no Don Pablo’s and it’s no Club Med, but it’s probably as close as I’ll get in “corporate America”. Also, I get to work from home two days a week. WIN!
- POLE! If you came here through Facebook, you’ve seen my profile picture and you know that I do a little pole dancing. It’s the closest thing to circus without having a trapeze in the house. I started in Miami with the lovely Michelle Meier, currently of Iron Flower Fitness. I have infinite thanks for Michelle, because, had it been any other instructor, other than the equally wonderful Marissa Alma Nick, I doubt that my pole journey would have come this far. Where Michelle gave me my base, Marissa inspired me to move more gracefully. Both ladies were just so instrumental, if you’re in Miami, living or just visiting, do yourself a favor and go visit them. Fast forward a few years past Miami and I’ve found a new place to hone my craft – Boulder Spirals. Sasha and Melanie just couldn’t be any more supportive, warm, and welcoming. And let’s not forget wildly intelligent, because they did, after all, select me to work through their Apprentice training. That’s right, I’m currently making my way towards being able (I think I’ve always been able, I’m just receiving the opportunity) to spread my love for pole dancing, fitness, and giving women an opportunity to step out of their usual box and feel strong, sexy, and empowered.
I'm so glad you could attend. Come inside, come inside. *
I've been so very un-Voxy for the last week. Part of it is that I've been "busy" but most of it is that I've been lazy. Last Friday, Kiddo, Lovey and I headed north to the beautiful city of Port Saint Lucie where we spent 3 alcohol filled days and 2 drunken nights partying like rock stars. (No alcohol for Kiddo, or at least no more than a sip out of my glass.)
Upon our arrival, Friday afternoon, we proceeded to check out our room (King size bed! Thanks Shawne!) that was adjoining with Kiddo's. We opened up our curtains to find that our balcony overlooked the "fitness pool" (only named that because it's by the gym) and that happened to be where everyone was hanging out for the weekend. The beauty of it is no matter how loud it got at the pool, the doors were so superiorly soundproof that we couldn't hear anything. As a matter of fact, I certainly didn't hear my friends yelling for me to come down to the pool and "stop fucking" as it was so eloquently put when Lovey and I were spending a little QT.
We spent a lot of time hanging out in the pool, having beers and catching up. It was certainly good to see so many of my friends that I haven't seen in a few years. All my brothers and sisters from other mothers were there. It really was a family reunion.
Kiddo was completely stoked to hit the flying trapeze. She spent a lot of time over at the circus and they were kind enough to let her participate in the flying trapeze show. (Video to be posted later.) She begged me to come over to do the show as well, but I happen to remember what they force you to wear for that show and I was in no mood for a one piece purple leotard. After the trapeze show, Lovey joined us in the theatre for the second show. Kiddo wanted to sit right in the front which is never a good idea at a Club Med show, but I let her pick the seats anyways.
Of course, there are always audience participation numbers and with one of my best friends Anthony running the number, Lovey probably could have guessed that he'd be getting pulled on stage. I don't know who was under more pressure, me or him. My friends were razzing me about his dancing skills before he even got up there, being the dirty girls that they are. I told them that it didn't matter what happened up on the stage, there was a reason I disappeared on various occassions. 😉
Lovey did a spectacular job and was a super good sport about the whole thing. I have to order the pictures from that one, but those won't get posted out of respect for Lovey's shy side. I'm so proud of him for actually getting up on stage and then proceeding to do a great job. It was all in good fun and I think he kinda expected something of that nature to happen anyways.
Another entire day of debauchery flew by and before we knew it, it was time to once again bid farewell to all of my Club Med buddies. The good news is that plans are already in the works for the next reunion.
We spent most of the day Sunday just unwinding from the rest of the weekend, watching football, and listening to more football on Sirius. I always at least get to hear my boys play even if I don't always see them.
Monday brought an appointment that I'm not quite ready to talk about yet. If I haven't already jinxed it by sharing it with two people, I'm hoping it still comes through. By Monday evening I'll know if the jinx held or was broken and then I'll fill you in on the whole story.
To tell the truth, I don't know what happened to the rest of this week. I woke up today and it was Friday. It's also payday, yippee, and to top it all off, today is Lunch Bunch where the company gives you $20 and teams you up with 4 or 5 people from other departments and you all grab lunch together. It's a neat idea. Let's you meet folks you might not have otherwise met. The company isn't that huge or anything, it's just that people tend to stick to their departments.
I guess that's it for the recap. I'm still working towards getting my business off the ground and I've been wanting to write a book for a while now and this morning, the perfect title and format hit me so maybe I can get an outline down on paper sometime soon. Thanks for visiting my ramble. Have a wonderful Friday and a kick-ass weekend!
* Please forgive if I rearranged the words of the song to make them fit what I wanted to say.