One of the scariest things about moving to another state is the concept of not having a job and worrying about not being able to get one. I know that I’m fairly marketable with my jill-of-all -trades, master of none resume but the worry was there nonetheless. Being jobless for pretty much any period of time wasn’t really an option for me since I had exhausted most of my savings, so when a temp agency called me, I jumped in it. *DirecTv commercial voice*
No doubt, I didn’t enjoy the temp position. It was okay at first, or until the first time I got screamed on by an irate customer. I took it too personally, I took it home, I didn’t sleep. After that day, I knew that I couldn’t stay in that position. It was only a temp position regardless, but the sooner I could leave it, the better.
I read the classified ads like they were my last gasp of oxygen. I sent out more resumes in two months than I had probably sent out in four years. I was starting to get antsy. I wanted out and my contract was going to end regardless. By a stroke of luck, I got a call for a phone interview for a position that was really interesting at company A. That interview went well. Shortly thereafter, I got a call to interview for company B. Funny thing, company A and company B were in the same building, both about 10 minutes from home. I was led to believe some things about company B that made it appear to be a good deal.
I accepted the position at company B, only to find out, after two days, that the things I was led to believe were not true. In the meantime, I had gotten a call to interview at company C. Due to circumstances at company B that were beyond my control, I decided that I would go ahead and interview at company C (5 minutes from home). Whilst I was interviewing at company C, I received TWO e-mails requesting phone interviews for companies D and E. Apparently, in Colorado, when it snows, it’s a blizzard. It seems that we live in a really central location because company D is 10 minutes from home and company E is about 7.
Within two hours of interviewing at company C, I had received an offer. I knew it was in my best interest to go there so I told company E that I was no longer available but I still spoke with company D. Turns out that company D was about equal in pay to company C but in less of an IT role. Company D was very truthful with me and I like that. They also said if my situation changed to get back in touch with them. I like that a lot.
So, let’s do some math.
Company A = $x/hour
Company B = $x+2/hour
Company C = $x+6/hour
Yep, I think things worked out well. If I read my interview at company C correctly, they promote from within and they want to see me do well and move up fairly quickly. Maybe I’ll tell you in a couple months what company C is, but for now, let’s say I’d put money on you having something made from their company in your home right now.
I start on Monday. I’ll let you know how it goes. 🙂
I’ve had a lot of blog homes over the last couple of years, but I think I’ll tool around with this one and actually keep it. 🙂
I was going to wait until the new year to start writing again, but procrastinating has always been my downfall so I thought I should start kicking its ass immediately. So while this is just a short love note, there is much more to look forward to, my friends. Much, much more.