37.84 – I Got Lost

Yes, lost.  It’s been over a month since I posted anything.  I think.  Oddly, a decent amount of things have happened, and yet, I’ve felt no need to document them.  I think I’d like to recap the last seven months as they apply to work.  (Holy cow, we’ve been here for SEVEN MONTHS already!!)

Upon arrival, I pretty much immediately picked up a temp job through an agency.  While the company was great and the people were nice, the work was certainly not anything that I wanted to do for a moment longer than necessary.  As such, I always kept my eyes open.  I found something a little closer to home through agency number two.  There was this and that to be done before I could start and in the meantime, I had a couple more interviews.  It was seriously famine for about a month and then a feast.  Agency number two told me that this position was of a certain type.  Well, turns out that wasn’t the case.  Annoyed.

And not feeling bad about accepting a different position with agency number three, but not before a really fantastic interview at a place where I really felt that I clicked with the people there.  The work was exactly what I wanted to do.  It gave me interesting work and the opportunity to learn some things that I wanted to learn.  Unfortunately, they just weren’t ready to make their decision and I wasn’t in a position to wait.

Agency number three put me in another place that had fantastic nice people and the opportunity to learn some things, but I kept looking back to that interview.  That “what if I had waited”.  It was killing me.  The company for agency number three wanted to bring me on full-time.  I did everything that I needed to do (and thanks to those who did their parts as well), I had the offer letter in hand, but I was still reading the classifieds.

And then I saw it.  The position that I had interviewed for previously was open again.  I didn’t know why it was open, but I knew that I had to try. I sent my information once again.  It didn’t take long to get a response.  They wanted me to come in to “interview” again.  I did.  And I knew it went really well.   And I knew a decision had to be made.  I leapt.  I turned down the offer in hand and waited.  Waited.  Waited.  Got nervous.  Got really nervous.  Started getting scared.  Started trying to figure out how long I could last without working.

Then the email came.  And all was good in the m-f-ing hood.  😀

So, I’ll know more in another day or two.  Life will be good again….as if it were ever not.  I live in Colorado, for Pete’s sake!

Job Rollercoaster….of love…say what?

One of the scariest things about moving to another state is the concept of not having a job and worrying about not being able to get one.  I know that I’m fairly marketable with my jill-of-all -trades, master of none resume but the worry was there nonetheless.  Being jobless for pretty much any period of time wasn’t really an option for me since I had exhausted most of my savings, so when a temp agency called me, I jumped in it. *DirecTv commercial voice*

No doubt, I didn’t enjoy the temp position.  It was okay at first, or until the first time I got screamed on by an irate customer.  I took it too personally, I took it home, I didn’t sleep.  After that day, I knew that I couldn’t stay in that position.  It was only a temp position regardless, but the sooner I could leave it, the better.

I read the classified ads like they were my last gasp of oxygen.  I sent out more resumes in two months than I had probably sent out in four years.  I was starting to get antsy.  I wanted out and my contract was going to end regardless. By a stroke of luck, I got a call for a phone interview for a position that was really interesting at company A.  That interview went well.  Shortly thereafter, I got a call to interview for company B.  Funny thing, company A and company B were in the same building, both about 10 minutes from home.  I was led to believe some things about company B that made it appear to be a good deal.

I accepted the position at company B, only to find out, after two days, that the things I was led to believe were not true. In the meantime, I had gotten a call to interview at company C.  Due to circumstances at company B that were beyond my control, I decided that I would go ahead and interview at company C (5 minutes from home).   Whilst I was interviewing at company C, I received TWO e-mails requesting phone interviews for companies D and E.  Apparently, in Colorado, when it snows, it’s a blizzard.  It seems that we live in a really central location because company D is 10 minutes from home and company E is about 7.

Within two hours of interviewing at company C, I had received an offer.  I knew it was in my best interest to go there so I told company E that I was no longer available but I still spoke with company D.  Turns out that company D was about equal in pay to company C but in less of an IT role.  Company D was very truthful with me and I like that.  They also said if my situation changed to get back in touch with them.  I like that a lot.

So, let’s do some math.

Company A = $x/hour

Company B = $x+2/hour

Company C =  $x+6/hour

Yep, I think things worked out well.  If I read my interview at company C correctly, they promote from within and they want to see me do well and move up fairly quickly.  Maybe I’ll tell you in a couple months what company C is, but for now, let’s say I’d put money on you having something made from their company in your home right now.

I start on Monday.  I’ll let you know how it goes. 🙂

1 2